Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Paul Naschy doing it VooDoo Style


Vengeance of the Zombies (Leon Klimovsky,1972)


Paul Naschy, I officially love you. In this magnificent film we get Paul Naschy as three characters, Krisna, Kantaka and a Demon. All of which he does an amazing job. Just to give you an idea what your in for, we have someone on the loose raising the dead with the help of his Voodoo powers. Yes, we got screams, chills and lots of blood.

Mr.Naschy is quickly becoming one of my favorite horror actors. He is the perfect fit for horror, someone that takes his acting seriously while it still looks like he is having fun. He is the Hispanic version of Vincent Price. This man literally gives life to his projects. Every frame that he's in he is always commanding the scene. It's just wonderful to see an actor so dedicated to his craft no matter how insane some plots are. Without Naschy these would just be good films but he makes them great.


This is my second film starring Paul Naschy and i have another one right here next to me. I simply can't wait to see what else this guy has. One thing that i mentioned before in my write up of the first Naschy film that i saw "The night of the werewolf", is that he has the best credit sequences. This film is no exception, it has probably my favorite end credit sequence of all time. Great music going to all these images, a funky bass line that drives all of them. Just tons of fun from beginning to end and a few creep outs here and there.

One last thing about this film, my friend warned me about films that contain actual animal cruelty. This film has a chicken getting it's head cut off. I read about it at some message boards about this film and i thought i was going to be disgusted when i would see it. Well when it came around i just brushed it off. I don't think I've ever been offended by anything or disgusted so it didn't phase me. The way i see it is if they eat the chicken after production wraps, it's all gravy. So if you get offended by that kind of thing just fast forward it. An animal being killed shouldn't stop you from watching a damn good film.

Grade A-

No comments: