Friday, May 4, 2007

New York Stories

I haven't posted anything recently because well...i've been going to sleep really early. I'm not so sure why anymore but the last few films that i did see all have tons of things written about them so i wouldnt even bother.

Taxi Driver (martin Scorsese 1976)
Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola 1979)
Manhattan (woody Allen 1979)

I have been familiar with all of these director's works but not to the extent that i wish i have been. All three of these films absolutely blew me away. I have already seen apocalypse now atleast twice before but i recently watched it again, still amazing. It's a film that i honestly can't believe was filmed at that time. Just amazing.

Taxi Driver and Manhattan on the other hand, i have never seen. Yes, i have never seen taxi driver or manhattan but im actually kind of glad that i didn't watch them until now. The film knowledge that i have now which was given to me from a friend of mine (you can find at cinemaisking.blogspot.com) im glad i watched these films at this time because of the information i already know about these directors and also seeing some of the films that they love all thanks to my friend. But honestly there is nothing to say about taxi driver and manhattan that has already been said. Both amazing films, Woody allen was actually the director that got me into cinema. Annie Hall and Sweet and lowdown just made it all click.

Cinema is something that is more then just entertainment, it's art, it's beautiful. I have been into films for about 4 years now and i hope one day i can be at the level that my friend is at and we can have deeper conversations about film but honestly...i just love cinema. I don't know where my head was at until i got into film. So thanks to all the great filmmakers out there that keep setting the example for younger filmmakers and helping the art grow. Also a big thanks to my friend at cinemaisking. Thanks.

No comments: